Being categorized as junk food, a Pizza usually is considered wicked when it comes to health concerns. So, we can consciously choose to prepare our pizzas at home with selected, best quality ingredients and make it better than the usual. This is one such sumptuous homemade Paneer Pizza recipe that’s just all good things put together. It has toppings of Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and mixed veggies on a pizza dough made from scratch at home. I also use my best homemade Pizza Sauce for this Paneer Cheese Pizza.
About Paneer Pizza
This recipe of Paneer Pizza is very different than my recipe of Paneer Tikka Pizza. Here I lightly marinate the paneer cubes with yogurt and a few spices and it is not the typical spice loaded tikka marinade that is made to make the authentic Paneer Tikka. So the taste and flavor of this Paneer Pizza is different than the tikka version.
How I go about it is by marinating the paneer cubes and vegetables in some curd (yogurt) which is spiked with a few Indian spice powders. The holy trinity of spices that I use to spice is red chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder. Simple as well, isn’t it?
The pizza has the main topping of Indian cottage cheese a.k.a paneer and has both Indian and Italian flavors. Somehow my family and I like the Indo-Italian fusion food game. No doubt, this peppy Paneer Pizza is a favorite at home.
You can always experiment with vegetables that your family prefers. Since my folks are good with onion and capsicum, these win hands down not just in this Paneer Cheese Pizza recipe, but others too. In addition to the capsicum, any colored bell pepper is also a good addition.
Vegans don’t worry as this Paneer Pizza can be veganized by just using tofu instead of paneer and a vegan mozzarella cheese. Rest everything else is any way suited for vegans. However, I can’t really comment anything on the yeast used in the making of the pizza base, being suitable for vegan consumption or not.
Crust for this Paneer Cheese Pizza
For the base crust in this Paneer Pizza recipe, I use my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe. This particular post can be your go-to guide for making a 100% fool proof pizza dough with whole wheat flour. For this Paneer Pizza, you can choose any other flour dough for the base.
The whole wheat pizza dough recipe is quite easy and simple. The step-by-step pictures will also give a good idea on how to proceed with it. The recipe results in a soft textured pizza base, one which is crisp from the outside after getting baked. There is no denseness, chewiness or hardness in the pizza bread.
You can knead the dough using a stand mixer, if you have one or else with your hands. Just make sure that the dough is well kneaded till it becomes smooth, soft and supple.
How to make Paneer Pizza
Make Pizza Dough
1. Take 1 teaspoon instant yeast (3 grams) and ½ teaspoon sugar in a mixing bowl or a tray.
2. Add 1 cup lukewarm water.
3. Mix very well so that the yeast granules dissolve in water.
4. Next, add 3 cups whole wheat flour, 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
5. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice. If you do not have lemon juice, then add 1 tablespoon buttermilk or fresh curd (yogurt).
6. Begin to knead the dough.
7. Knead to a smooth and soft dough. Add more lukewarm water if required while kneading. Knead for at least 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Place the dough in a bowl. Brush or spread some olive oil all over the dough.
9. Place a cotton kitchen towel covering the dough or pan. Allow to leaven for 45 minutes to 2 hours or till the dough increases in volume and doubles up. Timing will vary with the temperature conditions in your city.
10. After the dough has leavened well, it will increase in volume and double or triple up.
Marinate Paneer and Vegetables
11. Prepare the toppings while the dough is leavening. Take 1 cup onion cubes, 1 cup bell pepper cubes (capsicum) and ½ cup roughly chopped spinach (about 12 to 15 small to medium size spinach leaves) in a mixing bowl.
You can skip the spinach. I have used red and yellow bell peppers. You may use any colored bell pepper.
12. Add 2 tablespoons fresh curd or yogurt. This step is optional and you can skip it. You can also use sour cream instead of fresh curd.
13. Add 100 grams paneer cubes.
14. Add the following ground spices:
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch salt
You can add more of the ground spice powders if you want.
15. Gently mix and toss the paneer and vegetables with the curd, spice powders and salt.
Cover and keep aside to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes or more. If keeping for more than 30 minutes, then refrigerate.
Assemble and Make Paneer Pizza
16. Take the well leaved dough and gently knock back. Knead the dough once again with light hands.
Make a log shape from the dough and slice in 4 to 5 equal parts. For thin crust pizzas, cut the dough in 6 to 7 parts.
17. Spread some olive oil on a 9 to 10 inch baking tray. Sprinkle some semolina (rava/sooji) evenly all over the tray. You can even use flour or cornmeal for sprinkling.
Also, preheat the oven to its maximum temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before baking.
18. Take a pizza dough part, sprinkle some flour on it and begin to roll it using a rolling pin.
19. Roll to a medium thick base having a thickness of about ¼ to ⅓ inches. You can even make thin crust pizzas.
20. Carefully lift and place the pizza base in the greased baking pan or tray.
20. With a knife or fork, poke the rolled pizza base all over.
21. Spread 1.5 to 2 tablespoons homemade pizza sauce on the dough.
22. Break fresh mozzarella cheese into pieces and place on the sauce. Add mozzarella cheese depending on the size of the pizza.
Do not add too much or overcrowd the pizza with cheese. You can also grate the mozzarella cheese. Use pizza cheese if you don’t have mozzarella cheese.
23. Arrange the marinated vegetables and paneer. Again, do not overcrowd with the toppings.
24. Keep the pizza pan in the center rack using both the top and bottom heating elements in the preheated oven.
Also, keep your oven’s highest temperature. My oven has 250 degrees C as the highest.
25. Bake Paneer Pizza for 15 to 20 minutes or till the cheese melts and the pizza crust is crisp and golden.
Timing will vary depending on the type and size of oven. So do keep a check.
For a very crispy base, place the baking tray near the bottom heating element.
26. Remove the pizza on a plate, tray or board. Sprinkle some red chili flakes and oregano on the pizza. You can also top the pizza with some torn fresh basil leaves.
27. Cut the Paneer Pizza into wedges with a pizza cutter or knife and serve. Refrigerate or freeze the leftover dough.
- When you are using paneer in a pizza, it is better to marinate it and then add. Paneer primarily has no taste of its own, that is, it is bland. When marinated, it absorbs the flavors of the marinade ingredients.
- Also, if you add plain paneer directly on a pizza, it will dry out and become dense by the time the pizza is baked. This problem can be avoided by using marinated paneer cubes in this Paneer Pizza or any other recipe.
- The best result is definitely achieved with the use of olive oil. If at all you can’t get it, use any odorless and flavorless oil.
- In case you don not have lemon juice to add while making the dough, use fresh curd (yogurt) or buttermilk instead.
- If you are making this Paneer Pizza especially for kids, alter the quantities of spice powders accordingly.
- For marinating the veggies and paneer, fresh curd can be replaced with sour cream.
- If you don’t have mozzarella cheese, use pizza cheese.
- You can refrigerate or freeze the leftover dough and use it later.
- Ensure to stay around and keep an eye while the pizza is getting baked. The time differs from oven to oven.
- Both regular/thick and thin-crust pizzas can be made with this Paneer Pizza recipe. This recipe yields 4 to 5 medium thick and 7 thin crust pizzas.
Yes, but only if your microwave has a convection mode. You cannot bake this pizza in the microwave mode.
Yes, you can.
Yes, certainly. However, do not expect a similar stretchable effect that is achieved by using mozzarella cheese.
Olive oil is what makes a pizza different than any other breads. It has a distinct aroma which is what has been used for traditional pizzas since ages. In case its not there at home and you want to make this pizza immediately, use any vegetable oil.
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Paneer Pizza | Paneer Cheese Pizza
Yum homemade Paneer Pizza from scratch made with toppings of Paneer (Indian cottage cheese), pizza sauce, mix veggies on a whole wheat crust.
Prep Time 1 hr 20 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Total Time 1 hr 40 mins
For paneer and veggie marination
Prevent your screen from going dark while making the recipe
Making pizza dough
Take the instant yeast sugar in a mixing bowl.
Add 1 cup lukewarm water. Mix very well so that the yeast granules and sugar dissolve in water.
Next add whole wheat flour, olive oil, salt and lemon juice.
Knead to a smooth and soft dough. Add more lukewarm water if required while kneading. Overall knead for at least 8 to 10 minutes till you get a smooth, soft and supple dough.
Place the dough in a bowl. Brush or spread some olive oil all over the dough.
- Place a cotton kitchen towel covering the dough or pan. Allow to leaven for 45 minutes to 2 hours till the dough increases in volume and doubles up. Timing will vary with the temperature conditions in your city.
After the dough has leavened well, it will nicely increase in volume and double up.
Preparation and marination for veggies and paneer
Meanwhile take onion cubes, bell pepper cubes and roughly chopped spinach in a mixing bowl.
Add fresh curd or yogurt. This step is optional and you can skip it. You can also use sour cream instead of fresh curd.
Add the paneer cubes.
Sprinkle red chilli powder or cayenne pepper, cumin powder, garam masala powder and a pinch salt.
- Gently mix and toss the paneer and veggies with the curd (yogurt), spice powders and salt. Cover and keep aside to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes or more. If keeping for more than 30 minutes, then keep covered in fridge.
Assembling and making paneer pizza
- Once the dough has doubled up, gently punch and knead the dough lightly again. Make a log shape from the dough and slice in 4 to 5 equal parts. For thin crust pizzas cut the dough in 6 to 7 parts.
- Spread some olive oil on a 9 or 10 inch baking tray. Sprinkle some semolina (rava or sooji) evenly all over the tray. You can even use flour or cornmeal for sprinkling. Also preheat oven to its maximum temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before baking.
Take a medium to large sized pizza dough ball and sprinkle some flour on it.
Roll to a medium thick pizza having ¼ to ⅓ inches thickness all over.
Carefully lift and place the pizza in the greased baking pan or tray. With a knife or fork poke the rolled dough.
Spread 1.5 to 2 tablespoons pizza sauce on the dough.
- Break fresh mozzarella cheese in small pieces and then place on the dough. You can also grate the cheese and add if not using fresh mozzarella cheese.Do not overdo the topping with the cheese.
Arrange the marinated vegetables and paneer on the dough. Again here do not overcrowd with the veggie and paneer topping.
Keep the pizza pan in the center rack using both the top and bottom heating elements in the preheated oven. Also keep your oven’s to its highest temperature.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or till the cheese melts or gets golden and the pizza crust is crisp and golden.
Remove it on a plate or tray or board.
- Then slice paneer pizza with a pizza cutter or knife. Then serve. While serving you can sprinkle some red chilli flakes and oregano. You can also place some fresh basil on the pizza. This way make all the paneer pizza. Leftover dough can be refrigerated or freezed.
- Use veggie topping that you like. You can also add a few sliced button mushrooms.
- Instead of whole wheat flour, feel free to use all-purpose flour or bread flour to make the base crust.
- Make sure to knead the dough until smooth and soft.
- Leftover dough can be refrigerated for 1 to 2 days or kept in the freezer for a month.
- The recipe can be scaled according to your needs.
Paneer Pizza | Paneer Cheese Pizza
Amount Per Serving
Calories 421 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g31%
Vitamin A 1350IU27%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 5mg25%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 44mg53%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin K 23µg22%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 116µg29%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This Paneer Pizza recipe post from the blog archives first published in March 2018 has been republished and updated on 1 July 2022.