July 14, 2024


Welcome to the Food

Cooking oil fire sends man to hospital with burns to hands, fire official says

A kitchen fire Saturday afternoon sent a resident to the hospital with burns to his hands, a fire official said.

The incident occurred about 1 p.m. at a home in the 300 block of North Bradford Street in Allentown.

The man was cooking with oil on a stove when the oil ignited, city fire Capt. John Christopher said.

The resident tried to lift the pan off the stove and get it to the sink but the oil spilled onto his hands, causing what appeared to be second- and third-degree burns, Christopher said.

The home was sprinklered, and the sprinklers activated in the kitchen, dousing the fire before it could spread, Christopher said.

The National Fire Protection Association offers the following safety considerations for cooking with oil:

  • Always stay in the kitchen when frying on the stovetop.
  • Keep an eye on what you fry. If you see wisps of smoke or the oil smells, immediately turn off the burner and/or carefully remove the pan from the burner. Smoke is a danger sign that the oil is too hot.
  • Heat the oil slowly to the temperature you need for frying or sautéing.
  • Add food gently to the pot or pan so the oil does not splatter.
  • Always cook with a lid beside your pan. If you have a fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Do not remove the cover because the fire could start again. Let the pan cool for a long time. Never throw water on the fire.
  • If the fire does not go out or you don’t feel comfortable sliding a lid over the pan, get everyone out of your home. Call the fire department from outside.

Our journalism needs your support. Please subscribe today to lehighvalleylive.com.

Kurt Bresswein may be reached at [email protected].